Thursday, March 16, 2023

Wine and Cheese Pairing #2

Wine and cheese is one of my favorite activities in this class and I enjoyed getting together with my friends once again. This time we had Hunter, the dog, as a special guest demanding the cheese tax from all of us! The first pairing we had was a Sauvignon Blanc with a creamy Brie cheese. The second pairing was a Pinot Noir with a Swiss. The final pairing was a Cabernet Sauvignon with a Sharp Cheddar cheese. 

First up, we tried a 2021 Chateau Souverain Sauvignon Blanc wine from California. I got aromas of pear, honey and melon. This wine was very crisp, bright, and acidic. It was also more dry than I was expecting.
Brie: These two were supposed to pair very well together, but I was underwhelmed. It was almost like the cheese was stronger tasting than the wine. I thought it also had a strange aftertaste.
Swiss: This was a far better pairing than I expected! I like how the dryness of each complimented each other.
Cheddar: This was a funky pairing. The sharpness of the cheddar overwhelmed the wine. I think that a wine with a bigger body is needed when balancing out a bold, sharp cheddar cheese.
Second, we tried 2020 Buttercup Pinot Noir from California. This was a very light colored Pinot Noir. This is already a light grape variety, but this one was even lighter than normal. I got notes of cherry, raspberry, and herbs. It was a nice medium bodied wine with a fruity flavor profile and good tannins.
Brie: This was not a good pairing. The tannins plus the sweetness of the Brie was not great. I think sweet cheese like Brie just doesn't pair well with red wine.
Swiss: This was very good with the Pinot Noir! The sharpness of the swiss cheese is balanced well by the medium body of the red wine. They support each other well and the tannins are mellowed.
Cheddar: Once again the cheddar is too sharp for the cheese. The tangy flavors overpower the fruity flavors of the wine. This cheese does not help balance out the tannins. It almost adds to them in some way.

Lastly, we tried 2020 Josh Reserve Cabernet Sauvingon from North Coast, California. I like a bold California Cab! This one was no different. I got aromas of dark fruits like blackberry and black cherry. I could also taste some mocha! It was a full bodied wine with strong, smooth tannins.
Brie: Brie cheese and young, big Cabs do not get along well. The creaminess is just too weak to hold up against the wine. It also leaves a rough aftertaste in your mouth.
Swiss: The strong tannins in this wine are not complimented well by the dryness of the swiss cheese. Both the wine and cheese leave an unpleasant feeling in your mouth when they are together.
Cheddar: This was a very good pairing! The sharp cheddar is balanced out by the big, dark fruit flavors. Both of them are very strong on their own, but together they are mellowed out.












After cheese, we had fondue!



Hunter demands the Cheese Tax



No comments:

Post a Comment

Winking Owl Pinot Grigio

Name:  Pinot Grigio Winery:  Winking Owl Price:  $3.50 My Review: Well, you certainly get what you pay for. I feel like I make the same faci...