Sunday, March 26, 2023

Tasting - Churchill's Dry White Porto

Name: Churchill's Dry White Porto

Variety: 100% Baga

Region: Porto

Country: Portugal

Year: 2012

Price: $24.95

Wine Critic Review: "An intriguing and delicious example of this classic style, with plenty of phenolic weight and dry extract from maceration on the skins in lagares giving the mellow complexity of an ʺorangeʺ wine. Flavours are complex and evolved with chamomile and ripe yellow pears, toasted almonds, baked quince and charcuterie. Much too good to mix with tonic. Serve chilled on its own as an apéritif or with strong cheeses as an alternative to red port." - 94/100, Falstaff

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/church+hill+dry+white+port+oporto+douro+portugal/1/usa-va-y

Wine Folly: pg.154 general Port- Wine Folly lists black plum, dried cherry, chocolate, raisin, and cinnamon as aroma notes for port. I didn't get any of these flavors in the port. Lower on the page, the book lists some characteristics of a white port. Some of these include dried peach, white pepper, tangerine zest, and incense.

My Review: I definitely got the light fruit notes in this wine like peach and pear. It was a little bit too dry for my taste, but it was still very good! It was very nutty and a little bit fruity. I would love to pair this port with some powerful cheese and crackers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Winking Owl Pinot Grigio

Name:  Pinot Grigio Winery:  Winking Owl Price:  $3.50 My Review: Well, you certainly get what you pay for. I feel like I make the same faci...